Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:21:06 -0700
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Westy Fridge Endurance
Comments: To: Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>

I have tried several methods of propane on my van. The best for most uses is the Westy tank. You can get it made in longer lengths but the price is very steep.

Next I used a large bottle (30 pounder) attached to the rear (not stock bumper) and tapped into a "dual" tank splice that I installed up front of the westy tank. This setup I used for extreme cold camping with a heavy propane heater.

My current setup (with heater out) and westy tank removed, uses the small disposables and a 5 pound tank. I installed a rack for the bottles under the cabinet and carry 4 14oz bottles with me. The 5 pounder gets attached to my portable fridge and will last 4 to 6 days and with an adapter I can add the smaller bottles if needed. I usually will use about 2 of the small bottles for coffee and cooking over a 5 day camping.

For most people with a westy in the summer the single westy tank with 12 pounds will last for a couple weeks. With the second westy tank you can go for at least a month of continuous use.

My system is in redesign again right now but will use the following. A bumper rack for my 30 pounder for winter camps A redesigned rack for carrying 4 14oz bottles and 3 one pound bottles. A rack for transporting my 5 pounder. (it sits outside when in use)

My stove is being replaced with a different type in a movable cabinet that can be picked up and moved outdoors when I want. The sink will still be inside with the water system.

My fridge is already a portable that I move outdoors when camped.

Trying to fill the westy tank without a special hose cant be done. You have to be above the tank to "pour" the liquid in.

If you have spliced your lines with some special fittings you can get adapters that you can use to use the disposable bottles. Did that and had to many leaks to look out for. If you do any splicing get a propane detector and install it. (BTW these are the law on newer RVs) jimt