Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:37:53 -0800
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Driveability issues with a non-stock engine

What happens if Damon disconnects the vacuum line from the distributor, plugs the end that goes into the air intake distributor and then leaves the side on the fuel pressure regulator open? Would this raise the fuel pressure from 29psi to 36psi as a test?

My understanding from talking to Damon when he lived in the SF Bay area was that he decided to rebuild the engine as somewhat of a hobby. I think the AFM was working on a 1.9L waterboxer and there weren't major drivability issues.

I find reading about the adventures of Sparky (his vehicle) quite interesting and am hoping to see a happy ending to the story, such as getting it to work. :-)

Damon, we're all cheering for you and your 2.3L waterboxer..

-- Craig

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:43:31 -0500, Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net> wrote: > How did the first engine die? Although the 1.9L fuel injection has > proven to support a 2.1, I think the 2275 might be over the edge. You > will probably need to increase the fuel pressure to compensate or go to > the 2.1 Digifant. Since you increased the stroke, have you done anything > to monitor or cool the oil temperature? VW added the oil cooler and > increased flow cooling system on the 2.1 for a reason. If it really work > fine on the last engine, it is possible the timing is off or the cam > shaft is not timed properly. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > Of Damon Campbell > Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 10:23 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Driveability issues with a non-stock engine > > Hello wise and all-knowing list... i have a troubling > question (to me) to pose (to you). > > Currently, my '84 westy is running a 2275 WBX. Stock > pistons, stroked to 82mm, and running big-valve heads. > Fuel injection is stock 1.9 Digijet. The problem is > that it ironically lacks power, and has little (and > sometimes NO!) power when accellerating from a dead > stop. > > I have the digitool hooked up, and primarily it is > telling me that the engine drops full lean when coming > off that dead stop (or just really low RPMs). This > can last 10 seconds or so, until it ever so gradually > creeps up in speed. To get around this, i've been > working the clutch to keep above the seemingly magic > 2k rpm range where it really perks up. > > For general drivability, once i get going, the van > surges under moderate to heavy throttle. It is smooth > (and seems happier) at very light throttle. O2 sensor > oscillates around .5V, unless you goose it, at which > point it generally dips lean, but readjusts to .5V. > If you disconnect the O2 sensor, the surging goes > away, but it loses even more power. > > I've checked the FPR, which seems good. The injectors > are recently serviced, and a vacuum leak check showed > no leaks (used propane to see if the idle rose). The > O2 sensor has about 6k miles on it. > > The kicker is, the AFM adjustments are completely out > of whack (spring and idle). This has been tweaked on > (initially by BusLab down in Berkeley, CA), and now > vainly by me in an effort to trick the 1.9AFM into > liking the 2275. > > Other possibly useful information is that on a > previous (and similar) engine to this one, it was > dialed in and ran like a bat out of heck. > Unfortunately it died (my build error), so this is > it's replacement. All FI components are the same, so > i am pretty sure i should be able to get this to work. > > Do any of you have some advice on things to check for? > I am getting quite worried, as my parents are coming > to borrow the van for a month as they drive from > Vancouver, Canada, down to Arizona, and i don't want > to stick them with a lemon. It would probably make > it, it just wouldn't be any fun. > > Thank you for any insight you may give me, > -Damon > > ===== > '84 Westy (Sparky) w/2.3L WBX > Vancouver, BC > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Get it on your mobile phone. > http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo >