Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:11:44 -0500
From:         Benoit <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: 83 Vanagon Waterboxer
Comments: To: Greg Potts <Greg@pottsfamily.ca>

Creg, my friend... What is the exact compression????????? do a test with oil inside the cylinder!!! you know (of course) that will tell you if the leak come from the piston / cylinder / rings or the valves.... of course, you said blue oil!!! and westy don't have valves seals so rings / piston must be the problem.....but i wonder, you said 125/135 compression!!!! A cracked head that would leak oil inside!!!!!!!!!! Naaaaaaaaaa, impossible on westy's.....

BUT, a """oil ring failure"""" could be a possibility!!!! i have seen that in the past on Honda's.... the 2 compression ring are ok but the oil ring is stuck.... so only new rings could help!!!!! about 60$...

Check with an infrared temp gun........each exhaust....and close to the head???????????? the one with oil should have a higher compression and a lower temperature..... (i had a few beers now so it could be the reverse situation, he he he he)

It is not silly to try to save a 180000 engine.... i said try!!! the 83 is a 1.9L, they don't have the 2.1L rods falliure probleme!!!! If the oil pressure is good!!!!! put some pistons and head(1) and double check the old / new head if it sealing fine.....to get a even compression...

that is my advice for now!!!!!

Cheers and say hi to your dad for me, i will see you guys soon........... Ben http://www.benplace.com/vanagon_engine1.htm