Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:13:50 -0500
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      a few more cents on tires

It has been impressed on me (by Don in North Carolina and Ken Wilford) that I must replace my tires NOW, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200.

So I've been reading the archives, and a few other things. I will confess, I have not thoroughly scoured the internet or fully researched the options. Many many bad hits on the archives. I read the reviews on tirerack.com, where everyone seemed to love the Michelin Agilis. But they are expensive. The Yokohamas don't handle snow and ice, I hear, and while I’m not planning major winter travel, snow and ice do happen to me occasionally (e.g. right now in Virginia). I read the busdepot site, which said the Hancook RA08s outperformed the Agilis and are much cheaper. Volks Café and Go Westy don't appear to sell tires, so no input from them.

I'm wondering whether anyone besides Jim below has experience with the Hancooks. Do you agree with Bus Depot's assessment and Jim's experience?

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy **************************************************************** :::-----Original Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf :::Of Jim Kurpius :::Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 4:47 PM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: 2 more cents on tires ::: :::After scouring the internet for tire info and reading many opinions on :::the :::subject, I replaced my old Michelins with Hankook RA08's (all season, :::load :::range D). I have an 84 westy with stock steel rims and put on185R14 :::tires :::( I think they make a 195 too) and so far they are excellent. Smooth :::ride :::and very good stability in strong cross winds (field tested along the CA :::coast). They are also reasonably priced ( I got them locally...but the :::Bus :::Depot sells them). ::: :::Jim K.