Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:04:36 -0500
From:         Don in North Carolina <Don_Dixon@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: front headlights not working.... (long winded again)
Comments: To: Christian Pelletier <christianpelletier@YAHOO.COM>

Christian,

As others have said, there is much on this in the archives, but to recap the issue (one more time):

VW made a "mistake" in the late model (four headlight) Vanagons. They added two additional lights, but did not upgrade the various switches to allow for the greater current draw. The late model Vanagons have a history of burning out headlight switches, ignition switches and (occasionally) load reduction ("X") relays because of this.

Side note: The load reduction relay is installed in Vanagons to eliminate certain non-critical electrical loads while starting the engine to allow more power to the starter, these loads include the headlights, front (and rear, if installed) windshield wipers, front "fresh air" blower and the rear window defroster. It may cut out certain other accessories if installed (A/C, for example).

If your headlights won't come on with the switch anymore, but the high beams will come on when the turn signal stalk is pulled back ("flashing" the lights) one of the above components has failed. Of course, the first thing you should check is for a bad ("blown") fuse or fuses. After this, check to see if the load reduction relay is working or not - the easiest thing to check is if your front blower motor or windshield wiper works, if it does (with the engine running) then your load reduction relay is probably working, and your headlight switch is probably bad.

If the tests indicate that your load reduction relay is not functioning, the probable culprit is the ignition switch. Load reduction relays have been known to fail, but it is somewhat rare. To correct the issue, replace the ignition switch (electrical portion only, you don't need to replace the mechanical "lock" assembly). Most of the list venders have the electrical switch part in stock, it's normally < $15.

The final part of this repair should be to install separate headlight relays to eliminate the wiring issue that causes these components to fail. The headlight relays use a small amount of current from the headlight/ignition switch to "signal" them to close, and they supply the needed current to power the lights. An additional benefit of installing these relays is that the headlights have a better "current path" - a more direct connection to the battery. As a result, the headlights receive more power which makes them noticeably brighter. You can also safely go to higher wattage headlight bulbs (within reason, as has been pointed out, the 9004 headlight bulb plugs do not support a much higher than stock current draw), for even greater light output. Most list vendors also sell headlight relay kits, for < $50.

Don in Reidsville, NC 1987 Vanagon GL Syncro (Suzie) - For Sale! 1988 Vanagon GL (Sylvia)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christian Pelletier" <christianpelletier@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tue 25 January 2005 00:26 Subject: front headlights not working....