Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:10:43 -0500
From:         "Michael S. Nichols" <m.s.nichols@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] Shipping a Vanagon tow hitch - a saga
Comments: To: roadguy@roadhaus.com

Shipping anything can be a real eye opener to the uninitiated. I occasionally sell things on EBay or this list (Vanagon content). I have used all three shippers, and have found FedEx to be by and large the best and cheapest. UPS is the worst and most expensive, especially when I tried using old Mailboxes Inc. ---since bought out by UPS. Mailboxes Inc and their new UPS ownership charge about DOUBLE what you pay at a UPS terminal or FedEx terminal. Some FedEx drop off points are cheap like a terminal, but you need to contact them and compare rates to get the best price. Never pay to have UPS box anything! Also, UPS damaged shipments are almost impossible to get straightened out. If something you bought is shipped boxed UPS or FedEx, there is an automatic $100.00 insurance included in the cost of shipping. However, if the shipment is lost or damaged, the buyer must go back to the seller to collect the insurance that UPS or FedEx provides. This means the seller and the shipper must cooperate. The damage award is sent to the seller, who should reimburse the purchaser for his loss. The shipper does NOT issue a check to the purchaser, nor will they discuss the claim with anyone but person/seller who shipped the package

I had the misfortune several years ago to buy some NOS parts from an individual in CA.on this list, who took the parts to Mailboxes Inc now UPS to have them packaged and shipped to me. I had to pay the double UPS shipping rate and the $20.00 boxing cost. The box arrived opened here in Atlanta GA., missing most of the parts. I had to argue with the seller to file a claim, and then, he did not want to send me the $100.00, as he felt the $$$ was his---even though he had been paid in full by me before shipping , and I paid the shipping. He offered me $40.00. We compromised on the $100.00. Yes, I was very lucky that he paid.

In closing, check with shippers on big clunky things like a steel hitch which can be cheaper to ship out of the box, provided they cannot be damaged. The $100.00 insurance is NOT included on out of a box shipments Hope this helps!

Regards,

Mike Nichols 2--'81 air cooleds