Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:44:36 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Raised floor heater duct in diesels

I just did some looking around on both my 90 and 83. The differences seem to be:

On the 83, the metal floor seems to be relatively flat and low under the center carpet. The e-brake is mounted on this level, and the hole for the shift lever is on this level. The duct that carries air to the rear is a planted-on piece with spaces for the shift lever and e-brake. The front of it curved up in the form of two boxes, and the bottom of the cover is wider and deeper than the gas (later) version to accomodate these two upwardly curved square ducts.

On the 90, the ductwork seems to be pressed into the steel, an extra layer of steel say, to take the place of the square curved ducts with a plenum that's built into the car's stamping. It's much smaller in section than the bolt-on duct from the earlier cars, and is smaller in section everywhere.

They both duct into the rear passenger area.