Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:31:34 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         Michael Rule <manikmike@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: model year differences?

some here too: http://www.gowesty.com/thelibrary.html http://www.gowesty.com/campermodeloverview.html

Kevin Sellitti <ziptar.vanagon.list@ZIPTAR.COM> wrote: More Info Here also http://www.vanagon.com/info/years/

-----Original Message----- From: JordanVw@AOL.COM [mailto:JordanVw@AOL.COM] Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 2:27 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: model year differences?

In a message dated 1/26/05 12:19:19 AM Eastern Standard Time, robw_z@YAHOO.COM writes:

> I apologize for the broad question, but so far I > haven't found any comprehensive description of the > model year changes on Vanagons; Vanagon.com's site > skips from '83 to '88 or so... I'm mainly wondering > what was changed from '84 and up. As I understand it > '86 was a big change year but other than the 2.1 and > different headlights I don't know what else.... > thanks for any info, > > -Rob > > > >

in a nutshell:

'83.5-'85 1.9L wbx. most '83.5 up GL pass vans had the nicer velour interior w/ capt chairs. metallic paint first introduced on '84 GL's GL westys got a nicer velour interior w/ capt chairs in '85 up sliding door changed in '85. GL's got power steering in 85 up. GL's got tachometer and weekender interior was an option starting in 85 up.

86 -91 2.1L wbx introduced in '86. square headlights introduced in '86. front brakes redesigned in '86 a/c became factory option in '86 (previouly dealer/POE installed) '86 was first yr for power windows, power doorlocks, power mirrors, cruise as an option '86 first yr for syncro '86 was last year for tan velour in westy GLs '87 was last year for tan velour in pass vans adjustable armrests introduced in '87 all westy GL's have grey velour '87 up '87 was first yr for alloy wheels as an option 87 was first yr for fiberglass front and rear bumpers (only on wolfsburg pass vans) '87 last yr for sunroof model 88 vw emblem in grill got bigger and rear hatch had vw emblem in the middle of it '88 fiberglass bumpers now standard on all GL's '88 no syncros sold in US '88 wolfsburg got 'full" bodykit with fiberglass sideskirts as well as bumpers '88 rear side glass vents standard on all GL's '89 "carat" model introduced '89 last yr for GL syncro pass van '90 GL pass vans all had silver fiberglass bumpers/bodykit '90 up had middle and rear shoulderbelts '90 "multivan" introduced '90 "non-GL" base model pass van introduced '90 manual trans redesigned (no more 3/4 slider hub cracking) '91 same as '90..

and im sure there are more stuff i missed.. but those are the basics..

chris