Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:43:32 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Canadian shipping was: shipping a Vanagon tow hitch-a saga
Comments: To: RAlanen@AOL.COM

I have found that most Canadian customers want two things at the same time. Cheapness, and really great service (who doesn't). While these may happily co-exist here at Van-Again (pat self on back, try not to break arm), the same cannot be said for shipping services. While the cheapest way to ship to Canada remains via the USPS and parcel post, the delays associated with this service will drive both the customer and the vendor insane. There is no way to track a package via USPS except when it is delivered (who cares at that point?). So what you wind up having happen is the Canadian customer ordering something, you shipping it out in a timely manner and then a three-four week game of phone/email tag about "where is the package", "I don't know, should be arriving soon." ensues. I have even tried calling the USPS for customers to ask them where a package is (hey I really try, OK) and they have no idea. Recently the Canadian postal system customs was backed up over 6 weeks on inspecting items coming in from the US.

So cheaper is not always the way to go. UPS offers a much quicker shipping method that is trackable by the customer. That way there is no game of tag going on because when I ship you get a delivery confirmation email that has a link to a page where you can track the package yourself.

However with great power comes great responsibility, um I mean with better service comes higher price (I keep having flashbacks of Uncle Ben).

Here are some ways for Canadian customers to help themselves and vendors have better service/lower prices (sound of hundreds of Canadians slobbering on keyboards is now heard).

1. Plan ahead- If you want slow boat that is great but please plan ahead for it. Say you want to restore your Westy in March. Now would be the time to buy the parts you are going to need (hint, hint). That way if you insist on going the slow-boat/cheaper shipping you won't worry about when the parts are going to show up. Most of the time I get folks calling me who have planned a vacation trip somewhere for the last six months, only to actually think about getting the van ready for the trip the week before so they order overnight shipping and now they are mad at you because the parts haven't shown up yet (yeah this whole scenerio is my fault).

2. Buy larger orders at a time- If you are going to want the quicker shipping of UPS then the best way to get the most bang for your buck is to buy at least a $200 order. That way you can spread out the $30 UPS customs brokering charge and it is not so bad. Again this calls for planning and maybe buying some spare parts that you might not need for a while. Or you could hook up with some other VW owners in your area and put together a group buy that comes to one address so that you can split the shipping and duty/fees amongst yourselves. Don't cry when you need a $30 part only to get hit with a $30 brokering charge. This is not good planning and you are smarter than this.

3. If you need a small order, have it shipped fast. In case you didn't know if you have the item shipped via UPS Express or Expedited service to Canada the UPS brokering fees are built in to the shipping price. That way there is no gotcha when you get the part other than the actual duty on the item and you will get it faster. This is really a good idea since you are going to wind up paying more anyway, why not use this money toward faster service rather than just giving it to UPS.

If you do these things even Canadian customers (no racial slur intended) will be happy and feel like they got a good deal (what a concept!).

Have a great day!

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com