Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:00:10 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: model year differences?

IMO, VW had little choice but to modify the old simple and reliable point to point fuse panel, just like other car makers. Market requirements mandated the ability to add an ever growing list of options, mixed and matched to suit varying customers and regions. VW standardized on a panel that could be used across the product line so workers and service people could learn one vehicle and apply most of it to any other VW. The modular approach to sub harnesses gave a versatile and more easy to assemble vehicle electrical system with so many possible combinations. VW phased in this modern type fuse/relay panel on all of their vehicles starting in the early 80s. The vanagon was the last to get it, AFAIK. In fact many of the cars used the very same panel as the 86+ Vanagons.

I will grant that the lack of fuses of any kind on some of the key circuits seems ill advised. This same weakness is also present in the pre 86 models. Basically the entire ignition, fuel pump, and fuel injection circuitry runs without any fuses, on all years of Vanagons.

Mark