Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:53:54 -0500
From:         Michael Amato <amatoclinic@NTELOS.NET>
Subject:      New Vanagon with coolant leak

Hello all,

I lurked on the list for about 18 months a couple of years ago and ended up not buying a vanagon so I got off the list. Recently, a vanagon came up for sale in my area and I couldn't resist it so I am back. I bought a 1985 Westy with 158,000 miles that had a rebuilt transmission and clutch at 125,000. It had been well maintained at least for its ten years that it lived in VA. It had previously been in CA with its other owner. I am the third owner.

When I bought it, it had a coolant leak towards the back of the engine. I assumed the worse that it was heads, but bought it anyways because the body seemed to be is such good shape. Also, I spoke with the mechanic who worked on it before I bought it and he didn't think it was the heads. Well when I brought it to him it was the water pump which he replaced and several hoses and clamps. This greatly reduced the leak (by about 80%) but it was still there the day after I picked it up from the shop. I returned the van to him and was out of town while he fixed it. This time he replaced a loose H-junction and told my wife on the phone that the van had not been driven regularly for about a year and it would take some time for it to get its sea legs and that we may see some coolant on the ground. Well, I have been driving it for the past two days and I am still loosing coolant and don't know what to do.

I have searched the archives and it seems like it could be any number of hoses, clamps, or reservoir tank. I know next to nothing about cars and even less about Vanagons and am hoping someone here might have a suggestion.

Should I try some bars leak to seal the hole that is missed when it is tested?

BTW I feel the mechanic is well qualified (C.J. Buggs) as he has worked on VWs in the area for a long time and I here many positive things about him.

Thanks,

Mike Amato

Staunton, VA