Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:13:44 -0500
From:         Don in North Carolina <Don_Dixon@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Connecting an external tachometer to a 2.1

OK, I have replaced the distributor in my 1988 GL with a new one. On pulling the old distributor, I noted lots of corrosion on the outside of the housing, the o-ring was shot, and that the Hall Effect sensor plug plastic piece was broken, allowing the three wires to occasionally short to the distributor casing. I believe that this was the cause of my on again / off again engine running issue.

At any rate, the new distributor is in place. I have it set well enough for the engine to run (poorly) right now. The problem is in connecting my tachometer/dwell/voltmeter/ammeter combo. I have it connected to a good power source and grounded to clean metal on the engine case. It reads ~14 VDC with the engine running. The problem is with the tachometer sensor wire. The Bentley manual says to connect to coil lead 1, which is where I have it connected. Engine off - 0 RPM. Engine idle - ~6000 RPM on the 4 cylinder scale. If I run it up to the 8 cylinder scale, it reads ~1500 RPM - still way to high.

I have used this tachometer on various cars in the past, both point and electronic style ignition and never had a problem before this. I didn't try it, but am now wondering if a good body ground might work better (of course, the voltage indicated a good ground, so???), though why a poor ground would make it read high is beyond me... Any ideas???

Don in Reidsville, NC 1987 Vanagon GL Syncro (Suzie) 1988 Vanagon GL (Sylvia)