Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:38:01 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         Robbie Cotner <robw_z@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      So when a Westy sits for 5 years...

The early '85 Westy I'm looking at buying has been sitting more or less for 5 years, apparently being driven about once a year during that time. It was also given a "$500 servicing" at a local mechanic who knows nothing about VW's about 2 years ago, they have no receipt so I don't know what work was done, but I did notice it had all new belts. What worries me: -Since it has been sitting in the same spot in their driveway so long, I noticed under the engine on the concrete a large, almost rectangular patch of dark discoloration. Coolant? Oil? I noticed none of either leaking while the engine was running. -The lady who owns it proudly said "all we had to do to start it back up was charge the battery and put in some coolant!" I do not know how much coolant was added, is coolant loss of any sort "normal" over time? -I drove the van home and inspected it as best I could top to bottom. Ran a compression test that came out terribly but I suspect it was because the spark plug areas were so dirty that a good seal was impossible. Didn't notice anything leaking looking up from below the engine, the head gaskets looked good, soft and pliable from the outside. Heres what scares me: Started her up to bring it back after the compression test(engine had been off for over two hours), within two minutes of running the temperature gauge is nearing it's peak!! The coolant light comes on. I don't see how it could get so hot so fast, so while driving; I shut it off, and restart... the coolant light goes off, and the needle falls to a more acceptable level. However, now I'm having troubles keeping the van running, it wants to die if I don't hold it idling with my foot on the gas. It had good power once you got going, but when you came to idle at a stop it wanted to die. I got it back and didn't mention a thing about it to the owners, fearing they'd blame me for it as it did not have this problem as I drove it away! Any idea what happened?

I'm quite mechanically inclined and am willing to fix whatever may go wrong with the Westy should I buy it; but I'm worried that after taking a 5-year break from the 110,000 trouble-free miles it gave the original owners an abundance of problems may inevitably show up upon restarting its journeys. What can I expect?

Thanks,

-Rob