Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:23:44 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 to 1.9 oil cooler retrofit design Q (longish)
Comments: To: Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>

Which exhust system are you using? The 1.9 exhaust will not clear the oil filter with the cooler in place. My solution is to replace the cover plate on the front of the head on the drivers side with a plate from a 2.1 which has a hose connection. This will be the feed. Then, install a tee in the hose from the bleeder valve to the heater return pipe to use as the return. The 2.1 hosses that go on the cooler will act as reducers to go from the large hose connections on the cooler to 5/16 or 3/8 tubing/hose. Benefits include making the left head self bleeding and providing a path for coolant flow when the engine is cold. The flow will be about the same as the stock 2.1 set up.

Dennis

Hello List,

My 2.3 engine uses the simpler 1.9 cooling system, which i like for simplicity, but i dislike for the lack of an oil cooler. So on to thinking about how to use the 2.1 oil cooler that is already installed in the engine (just not hooked up to any coolant). Talking to my dad about this, we came up with 2 possible scenarios:

1) essentially go from the coolant crossover pipe to the oil cooler, and then back up to the expansion tank. Another way to go about this would be to go directly from the return hose of the rear heater core around the engine bay to the oil cooler, and then back up to the expansion tank. This might effectively eliminate the crossover pipe altogether.

2) install an auto tranny coolant bleeder H-pipe (the one mounted to the fire wall that the radiator hoses hook up to), and hook up to the oil cooler that way (basically replacing what would have been a tranny cooler with the oil cooler).

There are pros and cons to each. Pro for #1 is that it runs off the engine coolant loop, so it will help heat up the oil on cold startups, much like the 2.1 system does. Con for #1 is that there will be a noticeable change in hose diameter between the crossover pipe and the oil cooler, and another big change from the cooler to the expansion tank. I'm concerned about flow restrictions and the like. It would also likely be quite a bit of fabrication.

Pro for #2 is that it is pretty close to a factory design, and would be relatively easy to plumb in (assuming hose diameters for oil and tranny coolers are pretty compatible - are they?). This would also replace one of the original (21 year old!) hard pieces in the coolant system. Con would be that it runs off the radiator loop. Additionally, I don't even know if this setup would provide enough flow to adequately cool the oil (would it?).

I know this is a bit lengthy, but would either of these ideas work, and if so, which would be better. Is there something else that would be preferable altogether? I am, however, leaning to design #2.

Thanks, and i appreciate any input you may have on the subject.

-Damon

===== '84 Westy (Sparky) w/2.3L WBX Vancouver, BC