Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:28:38 -0800
From:         tim <killer.jupiter@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Decision time: A parting comment before my trip
Comments: To: Jim Felder <felder@knology.net>

That's what they make FedEx for.

Glad you got it on the road but I would always think twice before starting a trip in the face of an ice storm. Especially in a vehicle of unknown recent reliability. Hell, I might not bring the 84 all the way to SF tomorrow (all of 60 miles) because I have an issue with the damned o2 sensor blowing out. Who needs the grief?

bURNINGvAN! be there and be square!

tim in san jose

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:37:16 -0600, Jim Felder <felder@knology.net> wrote: > I'm leaving on a 2000 mile road trip tomorrow in my 90. I replaced the > leaking head gaskets last week (thank you list, thank you thank you) > and was all ready to go but today, I had to pump the clutch a couple of > times to get it in any gear. Not what you'd want to fight for four days > on the road, getting ever colder as I head north to NY. > > The dilemma: Was it the clutch master cylinder, a rebuilt piece of crap > that was all that was available on a saturday a year-and-a-half ago (my > german source shop was closed and it was for some reason very important > to be on the road by monday), or was it the clutch master cylinder, > that had never been replaced at all? If I don't leave town very early > tomorrow morning, I'll be trapped by an ice storm that is to blanket > the southeast. I only have time for one repair, not two. > > I have to be in NYC at a certain time because, among other things, I > have promised another list member some artwork cut in vinyl. I cannot > fail on my mission to meet him. > > Neither the master or slave cylinder is leaking, so I don't know which > is the culprit. I have to make a decision. I put my money on the master > cylinder. The guy behind the counter says "but you have a 50-50 chance > of being wrong." I told him that if I didn't install one or the other, > I had a zero percent chance of being right. > > I was right. Thanks to the information posted a few days ago on this > same subject, I was able to easily replace the clutch master cylinder. > I was not easily able to bleed it, as anyone who owns a gas vanagon > knows. I think the act of putting the slave cylinder bleeding screw > where it is falls under the Geneva Convention and should be roundly > deal with. > > Off to the frozen north in the morning, skirting by hours the problems > of the frozen South. > > Jim >