Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:31:55 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: front blower
Comments: To: Jere Hawn <jghawn@EARTHLINK.NET>

At 13:20 1/22/2005, Jere Hawn wrote: >Has anyone had this problem? I recently replace the front blower assembly >in my 88 GL with a blower assy from an 87 Wolfy. I hooked everything back >up and I get minimal heat blowing but I can hear the blower working at all >three settings. I get no air out of the side vents and minimal out of the >floor and on top of that I have a substantial draft coming in from the area >of the hoses.

One or both of the two bypass flaps that let ram air pass around the blower is stuck open or quite likely lying in the bottom of the heater box. Ram air works just fine, correct?

They are quite light, postcard-size roughly, and have molded pins extending from the upper corners to form a hinge along upper edge. These pins snap into little clips molded into the box proper, and they hang suspended from the clips and close off two big holes that short-circuit the blower output right back to the input. Blower pressure keeps them closed; when ram air pressure exceeds blower output pressure it drives them open and the ram air comes straight in. To hear them working, drive along at 25 or so with no blower and suddenly turn the blower to full speed. If they're working you'll hear them snap shut quite emphatically.

They are right bastards to work on because a) the hinges are up in a nasty little triangular corner and b) they hang from the *open* end of the little clips, so the pins wear triangular and so to the clips; then they jam or fall out. You have to rebuild the pins with epoxy or summat and *also* provide something for them to pivot on. I've had success with sinking heated brads through the case from some appropriate direction to give a bearing surface. Not elegant by any means but it's worked for a number of years on...three? four? different beasts. Someone who didn't get ambushed and set out to solve it deliberately could do enormously better I'm sure. Brass would prolly be a good idea so they don't turn into little files with rust.

good luck, mate. david

The sealing foam will have disintegrated but I don't view it as important, just rub off the dead bits with your thumb and the fuzz that's left will be plenty good enough.

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.7.1 - Release Date: 1/19/2005