Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Jan 2005 02:02:57 -0500
From:         Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: hole saws/floor cutting
Comments: To: "Gary Lee, Vanagon Racks" <gary2a@TELUS.NET>

okay so i have been sort of holding my tongue on this one hoping that the thread would die but it hasn't so here i go for better or worse. if you want to make a 2" hole with a greenlee or similar punch you are going to need a 7/8" or so hole saw. you need a hole saw so that you can fit the threaded shaft of the punch through the sheet metal. additionally you need a hole saw bigger than the root diameter of the threaded punch shaft because as you punch your hole the slug will deform and if your shaft hole is too small the slug will get stuck on the threaded shaft.

when making most conduit hole i don't use greenlee punches but expensive hole saws. normal hole saws are bimetal blades. the bimetal tooth structure is what makes the hole saws chatter and leaves that ruff hole that looks and feels like it will cut your fingers up. that said i tend to use hole cutters made by the following companies. they were both started by the same guy so some of the products show up in both catalogs. note to gary if you put these in a mill the holes are to die for pretty :).

http://www.blairequipment.com/

http://www.hougen.com/

these hole cutters are expensive but if you oil them when you cut with them and generally take care of your tools the will last you a lifetime. they can even be resharpened when they get dull if you want. i probably get 200 holes or so out of my 7/8" cutter before it gets damaged, usually from being dropped. these things even cut beautiful holes with one or two teeth broken off.

jonathan