Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Jan 2005 04:43:25 -0700
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: hole saws/floor cutting

On 1/22/05 8:14 PM, "Robert Fisher" <refisher@MCHSI.COM> wrote:

> I was drilling holes in my Chevy to mount a receiver hitch when my large > ancient 1/2" drill caught and spun on me. This thing is slow but powerful- > the 'slowness' probably saved me a broken right arm. Twisted out of my > hands, and the left-hand handle came around and hit me hard enough on the > temple to drive me part-way out from under the van. Might've gone all the > way out except my right hand and wrist were caught in about 4 wraps of > electrical cord. I had let go of the trigger, or it was yanked out of my > grip more likely, as soon as it went 'round, which also saved me some grief. > This was with a brand-new sharp bit, one of those alloys or whatever. It was > a bit of a wake up call. I never use the trigger lock out of paranoia and I > hate to think of what would have happened had I been using it. > Also, I had neglected to tell my wife where I was and what I was doing, tho' > I was just out in the driveway. I was hurtin' for days (from the drill, not > my wife). Made me think about some of my bad 'man with tools' habits. > > Cya, > Robert

When the hole is big and where I can get a good vertical and hold and balance position I use my big drill with the hole saw or drill bits on things that might (and probably will) bind. This is a very strong but very slow drill on its low setting. It has a big 90 degree handle on it as well. Even at that when drilling through half inch steel I still am extremely careful when I reach the bottom and am ready to break through. Even at slow it will yank me with the drill (kind of on the scrawny side). If possible I will flip myself or the piece around to finish from the other side. If the metal is thin and the position isnt good I will use my smaller and weaker battery drills. Still I have had many a skinned and bruised knuckle from lockups. On the bigger holes, if there is room, I will use my saber saw.

The thicker the metal, and the bigger the bit or hole, and the more torque in the drill, the more leverage the drill creates to spin you around on the lockup. The suggestion of using a smaller bit and then reaming or burring out to the larger size has a lot of merit. And will probably save a few knuckles and other parts of the anatomy.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com