Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:32:57 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         roger sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Installing new Westfalia stickers on the pop top

Hello,I did this a couple times and I'll tell you how I did it.First,this is an easy job if you know the trick that is needed.For the front sticker, first cut out a "nickel sized " hole in the decal between the E and the S so the bolt that attaches the luggage can stick through.Use an exato knife. Remove the reminants of the old decal that is on your pop top.You will see the silouette that is left behind imprinted on the fiberglass.This is your friend.Use this imprint as your guide in positioning the new decal.Now for that trick I promised.Use a windex spray bottle,filled w/water and 3 drops of Ivory dish washing soap.Pump-spray this on the area where the decal is to be attached.Next remove the paper from the decal and expose the adhesive.The water that was sprayed will "nutralize" the adhesive temporarily while you fine tune the adjustment of the decal.The decal will slip and slide around just like there is no adhesive on the reverse.You can adjust at your leasure, as time is not of the essence here.Once you have declared the location of your decal to be perfect, Use a credit card/drivers licence type object to squigge(sp) out the water that is between the decal and the fiberglass.Your hand may also work for this,instead of a tool.Once you have squiggied to your satisfaction,wait for 1 hour.This will give the water that you missed ,time to evoporate,and the adhesive time to do its' stuff.Now CAREFULLY remove the top paper from the decal and try not to pull the letters up too much,and Presto! Your done.Dont it look goooood ! ! ! The rear is the same.Once you get this far,your an expert. You will feel like going into the store front sign business,cause you now know that you can do it.If you have just painted your pop top and need to apply new decals without the sillouttes for guidence as previously mentioned, your out of luck.That is unless you thought of taking pictures to show you where to place the decals,before you sprayed/brushed .Or have $50 to send me for pictures of old westy decals.I must confess here.The first time that I tried to install these decals,I couldnt get the decal to match up with the silloutte.I cut each letter out of the big decal and appllied without water.Took all day,but I was happy.You can get these decals from go westy or bus depot for $10.00.Hello vendors,please give me rapid shipping for this plug.Thank you.Man am I bored today.Good luck,Roger Sisler.