Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:54:58 -0700
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Special engine mount for installing golf turbo diesel in
              vanagon
Comments: To: hvellacott@fastmail.fm

Hi Martin,

I have recently acquired a 1984 transport with a dead 1.6l diesel. I also bought a 1.6l turbo diesel from a golf which i was assured would 'drop straight in, you just have to change the engine mount'. I'm am about to attempt the job and was doing some research online today and discovered your excellent site.

>From your site, and others i now realise that the engine mount fouls the turbo (or one of the oil lines in particular). On your site you recommend making up a special mount or purchasing one from Winkler etc, but on other sites i have read of two other fixes. One was to simply grind the mount down so it doesn't foul - not very sound from an engineering perspective i know. The other suggested that you can simply put some spacers between the mount and the block.

I doubt this will work well. The engine will end up in another position/orientation, and while gearlinkage, CV's etc will tolerate small deviations, I think you would have to tilt down the mount and up the engine significantly to make the orig mount fit.

For the 1.6TD engines the grinding method works sort of ok. Better is also to renforce the other side at an appropriate welding shop (that can deal with the cast aluminum material)

Another solution is to get the manifold from a 1.6TD in a mid 80's VW B2 chassis (aka Quantum in US, Passat elsewhere), or the original Vanagon TD. From a Vanagon TD you can obvioulsy get all parts you need. From A Quantum you have to be a bit creative getting the turbo oil return back into the sump.

Good luck, MArtin

PS What country are you in?