Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:34:36 -0600
From:         Michael Knight <vwdormer@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant leak update
Comments: To: amatoclinic@NTELOS.NET

>From: Michael Amato

>Well, thanks to the many suggestions that I received on the list I started >the 85 Westy up on Saturday and started looking for a leak. I immediately >found a new hose that was wet and was dripping coolant directly over where >the wet spot was on the ground. I tightened the clamp and the drip from >the >hose stopped immediately. I topped up with coolant and decided to go ahead >and run my errands. By the second stop, which was at Autozone, I there was >no longer coolant on the ground. I still borrowed their pressure tester, >which I planned on using on Sunday. On Sunday when I got up it still >wasn't >leaking at all and it was cold so I did not pressure test the system and >assumed I had gotten lucky. It did not leak Saturday or Sunday. Then I >woke up this A.M. to find a small green puddle in a different location. >This one is to the left of the engine way towards the back. It is directly >under the left edge of the belt that goes all the way to the left and about >6 inches down from it. I was in dress clothes so I couldn't look under the >vanagon to get a better look. I drove the 7 minutes to work and now that I >am here the leak has stopped. Obviously, my next step is to pressure check >the system, but why would it be fine for two days and then crop up. Could >it be the really cold weather we're having? Is there a hose in that area? >I couldn't see one. Thanks for your help.

As I understand it it could be the cold weather. But the Priciples of Hydraulics is that the movement is always to the lowest point of pressure. Meaning that the leaks are always going to come from the weakest point or go to it. Since you solved one where is the weak point now? Sounds like you may have it and from your description it souns like it is near the water pump. But there are several connections here. Pump to case, pump hose to head, thermostat housing to pump, thermostat housing itself, hose to themostat housing, crossover pipes from the right side of the engine that run behind the crank pulley to this location. Someone else may jump in here if I missed one or gave too many, but my point is you have quite a few connections and possibilities for leaks here.

It sounds like your best bet would be to get hte pressure tester and check it even if it stops leaking again.

Michael Knight '77 Westy Deluxe, "el Verde" '85 Vanagon GL, nameless