Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:17:02 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 134 conversion
Comments: To: James Vidal <james@PBCLIBRARY.ORG>

James Vidal <james@PBCLIBRARY.ORG> wrote:

Hi,

Its getting to be that time of year when I will be thinking about converting to 134a from r 12. I'm in so. florida and a/c is important. I looked on the list serve and it seems that to get the a/c nice and cold with 134a is to add another condenser. Is there one made for a 1991 carat? If not where can i find one that will work and where do i install it. thanks Jim

Mine works acceptably with the stock condensor on R-134a. I would replace the stock condensor with a parallel flow type if/when mine fails, but I haven't found one with similar dimensions yet.

As far as adding a second condensor, I wouldn't do it until I'd spend the time/money making sure the original system is operating as efficiently as possible. Start by replacing the original flex lines, cleaning out and resealing the evaporator housing and sealing up all the outside air penetrating the front of the van. Make sure that both evaporator blower fans are operating, check the fuse holders behind the left pillar, chances are one has melted at least once.

When the system is recharged and/or the freon pressures are checked, make sure that the engine cover is in place and the rear hatch closed when taking pressure readings. You will get higher pressure and output temperature readings if the evaporator is pulling in hot air from the engine instead of using air from inside the vehicle. Make sure that your radiator fan is operating correctly also. If the system is charged properly, the 2nd stage fan relay will turn on the fan almost constantly when exterior temps exceed 95F until you get the interior cooled down.

Good luck,