Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:23:32 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: automobile shipping horror stories?

> I spent a few minutes talking with the driver while he unloaded. He > is an independant who takes deliveries from the brokers and anyone > else.

Some years ago, before I started The Bus Depot, I would sometimes buy solid west coast busses that needed engine work, and ship them here to the east coast where I would give them engines from rusted out east coast busses that otherwise ran well. (Unfortunately, the supply of cheap rusted out east coast busses with good engines eventually dried up.) So I dealt with a lot of these drivers and brokers. There were some stand-up companies, but also a lot that were really seedy. Many of the truckers are independents who run back and forth for a number of brokers, sometimes in rickety old trucks that look like they'd have less chance of making it cross-country than the Bus did. Some of the brokers (many of them home-based) also own a truck or two themselves, but others own nothing but a telephone and a list of independent truckers that they call once you respond to their ad for car hauling. In exchange for their ability to 'network' and find a trucker to haul your vehicle, the broker gets a piece of the action. Often the deposit is their take, and the independent trucker keeps the balance that you pay him on delivery. The price they quote may depend on whether they think they can find a trucker who is already going in your direction with an open spot on the trailer, or will be returning from a dropoff "deadhead" (with no return cargo). In either case the trucker may accept a low offer from a broker rather than make nothing at all. (It's just like theaters, airlines, etc. selling last-minute tickets cheap rather than getting no income at all from the empty seat.). Problems can occur if the broker lowballs the price in order to get your deposit, and then can't find anyone who will haul it for that price, or finds someone who is unreliable. Once the broker has your deposit he has already made his commission up front, so unless he drags it on so long that you demand your deposit back, he has no financial incentive to move your vehicle quickly. The driver, on the other hand, won't be paid until he gets your car to you, so his incentive is to move quickly (unless he has accepted a price that turns out to be unprofitable - i.e. if he was counting on two hauling two vehicles at the same time and the other deal falls through - in which case he may simply back out).

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT