Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:34:56 -0600
From:         Tim Marciniak <tmarciniak@WI.RR.COM>
Subject:      Idle Stabilizer 2nd check (regulator)

I need some help trying to decipher the process of checking the idle stabilizer with the directions given in the Bentley manual Section 24.53.

My first question is How do you connect an ammeter to the idle stabilizer valve and am I connecting it into the correct circuit? When you unplug this connector from the idle stabilizer valve (ISV), you are unplugging a yellow and a white wire that go from the idle stabilizer control valve to the idle stabilizer control unit. Now does it matter if you connect the ammeter inline with the yellow wire or the white wire to the ISV. Should the current be the same (spec value is 430ma fluctuating), whether you connect inline through the yellow or white? And of course once the ammeter is in the circuit you would connect the other wire (be it the yellow or white) back onto itself with some sort of jumper wire to complete the circuit with an ammeter in it.

Second question is they tell you to disconnect connector 2. Now just what am I disconnecting here and where is it? The diagram on that page has the number 2 pointing to a wire that is above the thermostat housing. It does not give any clue like the color of the wire. In this second test I am assuming we are simulating some kind of open loop scenario but exactly what variable are we removing from the system. I think this "connector 2" may be the wiring that goes from the G62 Coolant temp sensor to the Digifant Control Unit and the Idle stabilization Control Unit---Can anyone verify this. The wires are gray in color with one gray wire going into the connector and 2 gray wires leaving it. There is another connector right next to this one with 1 green wire going into the connector and 2 green leaving it--I dont know what circuit these are in.

I am having problems maintaining an idle. Van is a little hard to start at time, it idles down and eventually stalls both when its cold and warm, probably worse when its warmed up.

I have also found some ground wires and I am going to replace the eyelets on these but before I go ahead and do this i would like to get an ammeter reading to see if any changes I make improves the current spec.

Tim

1990 Multivan