Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:03:38 -0500
From:         Jean-Pierre Le Cruguel <jlecruguel@AEI.CA>
Subject:      Q: adding a differential lock or Limited Slip on a 2WD

Hi all!

This thread few days ago interested me a lot http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0501E&L=vanagon&D=0&P=8435

I think the best answer came from Daryl:

The actual Limited Slip's are very hard to find...I have been trying to get one for a customer for a month..no luck so far. 0 in about 200 cores from europe from one supplier. The ZF LSD's were an option and not a popular one evidently. The Locker from a syncro can definately be added ...for a price.... Daryl of AA Transaxle

I have an 87 westy, 2wd, manual trans. I'd be curious to talk to Pedros too, as he is also in Montreal.

I am very interested in improving my 2wd capacities on icy conditions.

I normaly only drive my westy in summer. Rust and snow/ice is a major issue here in Quebec. I do not have great tires for winter. (all season tires at the moment). It does not take me much snow or ice to get stuck. 1 or 2 inches of ice can be enough. It's fairly ok on cleared roads. the thing is parking it or climbing even small ice accumulations. (recently I tried to get it out the garage where it is stored and I could not climb a 1 inche tall ice step!)

I got stuck so easily: it's a truck, it's heavy. it shows It was the same mess when I stored it. I got stuck on ice. I have some Icetracks. it works ok but I do not want to get in/out every time. Once you get stuck, you are f***!!!

Can someone point me to a good solution: how much would it cost to add a locker? What is the easiest/cheapest way? What does it involve mechanically? (Which parts do I need to add/replace?) I understand LSD is kind of automatic, and also not as efficient. while a locker must controled from the driver's seat, so it 's not just a simple mechanical add on.

If someone has already done so....

All inputs are welcome!

JP