Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:48:46 -0500
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Pop Up window screen replacement

Are you talking about the front window where the whole net can be zipped out? If so, it's really easy to fix, if your problem is that the old screen is ripped. Buy some screen stuff at Home Depot or similar place. It comes in a roll, and it's soft and pliable. Buy the smallest roll they have, you don't need a lot. Should cost a few dollars.

Unzip the netting piece from the poptop.

Cut a new piece of screen to fit it (allowing for hems on the screen material, they'll make it more secure to sew on). Pin the new screen onto the "frame" of the old one, without removing the ripped stuff. Be careful to keep the frame nice and flat and straight and rectangular. That's why you don't want to remove the old stuff, it will help keep the shape of the frame even though it's ripped.

Sew the new screen onto the frame - right over the old stuff is fine. It's a bit easier on a sewing machine because it will give you nice tight stitches, but you can do it by hand too - all of that stuff is soft and easy to sew.

Once the new screen is completely sewed on, just snip off the old ripped stuff.

Then zip it back in!

Keeping the frame flat and rectangular is important, because if you don't then it could twist to become a parallelogram instead of a rectangle, and it won't zip back in properly.

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy ****************************************************************:::-----Orig inal Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf :::Of jimt :::Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 2:53 PM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: Re: Pop Up window screen replacement ::: :::On 2/2/05 9:02 AM, "John Schaper" <JSchaper@SCHSA.ORG> wrote: ::: :::> The pop-up window screen and zippered flap over the screen is broken :::and :::> worn on my '84 Westfalia. I know I could replace the whole canvas, but :::the :::> canvas is in very good shape. I simply want to purchase a replacement :::> screen and canvas flap to sew into the opening where the existing :::> screen/flap is. Any suggestions where I might purchase a replacement :::> screen/flap/window? :::> :::> :::I know of one where the owner just got mosquito netting and stitched it :::in. :::his and mine have velcro as well as zippers on the flap. I donΉt think I :::have ever used the zipper on mine. DonΉt recall ever checking to see if :::it :::worked either. :::•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• :::jimt :::Planned insanity is best. :::Remember that sanity is optional. :::http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) :::http://www.westydriver.com