Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Feb 2005 16:11:19 -0500
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Send Us a Flag to Fly at Syncro de Mayo 2005
Comments: To: Steve Schwenk <Steve@SYNCRO.ORG>

Howabout a flag from the Conch Republic?? :-)

Ric

At 02:53 PM 2/5/2005, Steve Schwenk wrote: >Last year, as many will recall, we emphasized and celebrated the >internationalist bent of the syncro community at Syncro de Mayo. > >We hosted guests from France, South Africa, several Canadian provinces, >Germany, and Argentina (now living in the US). And many people from these >lists also donated money so that we could buy flags to fly from each >country represented at the event in order to pay tribute to our guests and >to also display the reach and diversity of the syncro community. The flags >also looked really nice blowing in the breeze, too. See: > >http://www.syncro.org/sitephotos/Galleries/SyncroDeMayo2004/pages/2sdm2004.htm > >This year, we again extend an invitation to all who might like to come from >abroad to join us as official event guests, and we will provide assistance >with logistics and accommodations, as we did last year. However, if you >can't make it, you can still participate and attend in spirit this year by >sending us a flag (with a note attached for all to read if you like) from >your country, which we will fly at the event with all of the other >flags. This will provide a true and dramatic visual representation of the >syncro world community, and it will be a lot of fun and meaningful to do. > >This list is just from memory, and done quickly. I am sure I have missed a >few. But these are the countries I know have active Syncronauts based on >the syncro registry, syncro.org website traffic stats and spring sales. I >have omitted the countries we already have flags from: > >Israel >Turkey >Iceland >Thailand >Taiwan >The Netherlands >Indonesia >Columbia >Costa Rica >Venezuela >U.K. >Russia >Hungary >Sweden >Switzerland >Italy >Philippines >Austria >Australia >Belgium >Spain >North Korea >Iraq (likely US troops) >Poland >Kenya >Romania >Denmark >Finland >Czech Republic >Canada (our current flag is faded) > >So send us a flag to fly at Syncro de Mayo! We will display all of them in >a visually appealing and respectful fashion, and will toast you at the >event as well. We will attach your greeting notes to the flag poles for >all to read, or read them at the awards ceremony. There will be ample >photos/videos available on line afterward. > >Help us create this visual representation of the world syncro >community. It will have an impact well beyond the event and will allow >those who can't make it to be there in spirit and to send greetings and to >partake in the celebration. Please send us the flag a.s.a.p. The event is >May 5, 6 & 7th. And we need time to make the poles for each flag and to >figure out the best way to display them. International mail is slow, too. > >So please send your flag and a note to: > >Syncro de Mayo >C/O Volks Cafe >1823 Soquel Ave. >Santa Cruz, CA 95062 >U.S.A. > >(Thanks, Peter, for being the mailing address!) The flags should >preferably be 4 feet by 6 feet (4'x6') in size and made of nylon. But we >will fly what you send. > >Thanks! And the Syncro de Mayo 2005 web site will be up before too >long. Work is in progress. > >Steve > >www.syncro.org > >Syncro de Mayo 2004 (rated among top 5 VW events nationally by >www.RoadHaus.com ) > >Flags for sale on the web (or use google) > >http://www.expressflags.com/index.htm?source=google&kw=flags > >Can someone please post this to the syncro@yahoogroups.com list, >and Larry...if you see this, please post it world-wide! I am not >subscribed to Australia, Netherlands, etc.