Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Feb 2005 13:13:58 -0800
From:         Kim Springer <kimspringer@RCN.COM>

Hello All,

Wow, that is some spicy response Chris! Take a downer!

I didn't say that '89 and '90 models are the only years that can conform, nor did I say that there are great differences between US and Canadian models, nor did I say that the system for "legally" by NHTSA standards is a good system. It's an unncessary hassle as far as I am concerned. Especially for Vanagons and Dokas.

However, it is the system.

There are a lot of ways to bring in any car of any make and model and get it registered and smogged, etc. There are Lien Sales, there are lies to the DMV, and others. Many folks bring them in and register them as Diesels. What you do is your business and your liability.

I was just sharing with the list what I know. If you do not believe me, go look it up yourself on the NHTSA website. Start by searching for a list of Registered Importers. The rules regarding importation are all there for the public to see.

By the way, mine is from Europe

Jeff,

The RI is in Richmond and has been doing this, mostly for Porche, Ferrari, and Mercedes. Barry Taylor Enterprises and he is the original importer of AMG into the US.

All the best,

Kim

Paul,

Who is this RI? As far as I know (as of July 2004), there are only two RIs in the Bay Area (and neither is in SF), I've spoke with both of them extensively in the past and neither one of them was terribly interested in helping with the importation of Transporters. Perhaps there is someone new in town who is a little more friendly to the VW community.

Cheers,

Jeff