Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:38:12 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAVE THE ADVENTUREWAGEN MOLDS..donations needed!

The guy salvaging the molds didn't ask for donations, he asked to be reimbursed for his expenses, I would think most likely by the ultimate owner, although he didn't say that. Presumably that person would attempt to make and sell the tops and thereby make some kind of profit from it. It only seems reasonable in that case. If somebody went to the time and expense (even for basically altruistic reasons) to do something that I then used to enhance my business or create a new one, I would certainly feel that they were entitled to some recognition and consideration from me, whether they asked for it or not.

Even if he had, or did, ask for donations, considering the circumstances, I don't see the problem with it. Seems to me that he's doing this out of some sense of greater good for the Vanagon community, not for personal gain, and mostly because he happened to be nearby and thought he could help. He made it clear that he doesn't want to own them and doesn't intend to profit from them.

The first donations were unsolicited, in the spirit of the Roadhaus thing, and I note, btw, that Chase was one of the first to offer a twenty. Steve (the guy) just published his paypal account to facilitate this, which is only logical, and in doing so explained clearly how he intended to handle whatever monies came of it, including any surplus.

Frankly I don't see where the logistics of this thing are any of your damn business if you're not involved with it- this is the same gripe that came up with Larry and his engine problems; if people want to give other people money for whatever reason that's up to them. There was nothing unethical happening there and there's nothing unethical happening here.

If you really have an interest in this and the ability to help, perhaps you should contact Steve directly and offer your assistance instead of questioning other people's motives and methods.

Yeah, you have the right to ask. I have the right to answer.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Dodson" <steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 1:59 PM Subject: SAVE THE ADVENTUREWAGEN MOLDS..donations needed!