Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Feb 2005 06:42:35 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Head Gasket repairs Question
Comments: To: Jere Hawn <jghawn@EARTHLINK.NET>

There is no reason to take the cylinders off at all when doing a head gasket replacement. If you do then you are going to struggle to put them back on (it can be done) and possibly break a ring or two trying to do so. I have done many, many head gasket replacement jobs over the years and I can say that out of all of them I have had 0 ever have a problem from the lower o-ring not being replaced. I have only ever had 1 actually come back to the shop and that was years ago when I didn't know that with all the fuss about the heads having pits, that the case side needs to be pit-free as well (just as important). Of course about 95% of the time I am reassembling the engine with brand new heads (AMC) and I think this also helps to eliminate possible problems.

Thats my 2cents, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com