Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Feb 2005 07:17:27 -0600
From:         Tim Marciniak <tmarciniak@WI.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idle Stabilizer 2nd check (regulator)
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker17@earthlink.net>

Joel,

I have a couple of things going on with this van. First off, connecting an ammeter into this idle stabilization circuit--I have the most basic understanding of electrical principles but with regard to ammeters they are always hooked up in series with the circuit, not across like a voltmeter. I made a couple of attempts at this and got a reading of 440ma--not bad and seem to be in spec. Interesting thing that you mentioned and I tried was flushing the Idle stabilizer valve out with carb cleaner. After i did that it took a little to start up but did seem to idle better. I also checked and then determined I had to adjust the throttle switch, it was closing too soon, this is a very tight spec on this and that throttel has to be almost closed before that switch closes--I am considering replacing this switch--the plate that you move looked pretty corroded and dusty bu I was able to adjust. My throttle also looked dirty and I amy remove and clean that but I have seen much worse.

My other issue is to do with the starter, I replaced it this weekend. What led up to this is I went out to the van tried to start and got no response from starter, not evena solenoid click. Did some tests and by my conclusion determined I need a new starter--WRONG. I bench tested the old starter and it was fine. I put the new starter in, replaced the two small connectors that go to the starter becuase of green corroison. Installed the new starter and it started it quite well. So went back to work on the idle problem. Well got some rain last night here in Wisconsin just as I was fiddling around with this van and the starting problem came back. Well I did some voltage drop test and I got a problem on the ground side. I measured voltage drop from the battery neagative to the lower starter mounting bolt--it was almost .5volt--not a good number, from the pos battery to the big terminal on the staret it was like .o1 volt-a great number.

So now I am thinking I got to fix this ground problem before I move on. I plan to replace the three main ground straps: Batt neg, tranny, and block to ignition coil cluster. I did clean several grounds yesterday near the ignition coil. I am also thing of adding another ground somewhere from the engine to the maybe that coil cluster area.

BTW, I did replace the coolant sensor when i first starting having these problems, did change much for me.

Thanks for the help