Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Feb 2005 01:19:57 EST
From:         Pete Moore <Pete952@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Vanagons in snow

I have no detailed experiments or major experiences with busses, vanagons, westies or SYNCROS in the snow but I do have a story that might be of interest to some.

In 1973 or thereabouts I bought a new 73 bus - red body - white top. Within a year I learned the value of John Muir as my new work vehicle would not turn over in the parking lot after work one day. Yep "crawl under front of the right rear wheel and look for two cylindrical shaped things" - yeah, I knew what a starter and solenoid were but he was right - the 12V hot wire had vibrated off - YAHOO! But I digress.

My snow story. I had a young ski family at the time and the bus made many successful trips from the SF East Bay Area to the Sierras and OR over the years. One spring, 75 or 76 not sure, I decided it was time to do the Utah ski thing. Spring break I packed up my 2 boys (8 and 12) and a high school student friend and we headed off to Park City one evening. I drove all night and we had Bk in Park City at 8AM - a little icy but a fun ski day - ended up on a hill with a bunch of young folks (pretty good skiers) who all had the same parkas - US Ski Team. Kinda fun.

I slept well in SLC that night.

Next AM we were off to our 2nd day of the adventure (Vanagon content finally). I just now went to Mapquest to verify my memory of distances, etc. which wasn't bad after 30+/- years but here's the gig. We turned onto UT 210 south of SLC - sign says 8 miles to Alta - it's raining like crazy and the sign says CHAINS REQUIRED - BS - "I don't need no stinkin' badges" or chains for that matter when it's raining.

Up Cottonwood Canyon we go - raining like mad - bout 3 miles up the rain gets footprints - ah - no problem. Another mile and it's snowing pretty hard. It's almost whiteout conditions when I catch up to a bus (Greyhound type). I hang out behind it and then see it start to slide out to the right with the unfenced canyon below - I'm going for it so I pass - as I start the teenager yells "Every one in the back". The bus dug in and, to make a long story short, I blasted by Snowbird and plowed into the more or less empty Alta parking lot and breathed very deeply. I opened the door and it pushed snow - this is the absolute truth. This was not the stuff that Sierra concrete is made of. A great ski day! Oh, BTW, the teenager had lived in Breckenridge, CO for many years.

A few years later after a blown engine thanks to that 5 year old who grew up a little, that bus went to someone who wanted to fix it up - I have no idea. MOL 5 yrs ago, 2nd family, we acquired an '80 Westy in Durango, CO in the winter. The Westy blew the doors off my unloaded F150 4X4 coming home over Carson Pass in light, but sticking, snow - uh, no chains. It's a project car but has served us well with a rebuilt engine and a few other basics. Discovered some new unmarked campsites in the central Sierras, Southern OR and looking for more on the 2nd Baja trip this spring.

I think my point should be obvious but if you get into traction problems and don't have 4 80# bags of rock salt but do have a passenger, yell!

Pete Murphys, CA 80 Westy Couple of 4Runners F150