Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:44:46 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: 88 Vanagon thermostat question
Comments: To: John Graham <theklube@GMAIL.COM>

The thermostat you removed with the 078 was not a Vanagon T-Stat. The lower disc is the wrong diameter and was probably sticking in the housing bore. That small bleeder in it is designed to ensure a small amount of coolant flow so the T-stat can sense when the water is getting warm. The Vanagon T-stat does not get this feature. In fact, the OEM T-stat even has a rubber seal on the top disc to ensure there is no bypass when closed. This is needed in cold weather the radiator and long coolant pipes have so much thermal reserve that even a small leakage will prevent the engine from warming up.

Dennis