Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:52:29 -0500
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Winter Camping at Pokagon State Park

I've slept in my van without heat or electricity down to 15 degrees. I have a fleece blanket and my sleeping bag, and when it's that cold I sleep in sweats and socks and a fleece jacket with the hood on. The hood is important - keeping my ears warm matters! It's very toasty, until I have to get up in the morning!

If you've got electric and enough space, try one of the oil-filled electric radiators. They are quite safe. I find that with the poptop down and outside temp above 20 or so, it's too hot in my van. Quite hot, like 75 degrees. There's a major thermoclime, though - it's much colder down where my feet are near the windshield. I've used the radiator with the poptop up, too - then it was in the 50s inside when it was quite cold outside. Quite bearable. With four people and a dog, the van will be warmer just from body heat.

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy

**************************************************************** :::-----Original Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf :::Of pete or nancy owsianowski :::Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 10:02 PM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: Winter Camping at Pokagon State Park ::: :::Some brave bus pilots from the Buses By The Beach group are going to try :::some Winter Westy camping at Pokagon State Park in Indiana on February :::19th. :::(We can't wait for Spring!) After hitting the toboggan run, we will :::retire :::to the campfire and our buses. ::: :::Any collective list wisdom on staying warm after the fire goes out? :::There :::is electric available so we can run heaters. What about those of us that :::have to pop the top to sleep 4 and a Golden Retriever? Anyone ever use :::electric blankets? ::: :::The coldest I have slept in the bus was about 38F. Didn't have a :::problem. :::The average low in February in Indiana is 21.5F. ::: :::Pete and Nancy :::'87 Westy :::"Joe's Van"