Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:28:03 -0500
From:         "Daniel L. Katz" <katzd54@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Low Compression after Spark Plug Incident

james:

after reading some of the dire replies, i would suggest taking a break, and not jumping to hasty conclusions. make sure all four plugs are clean, properly gapped, and torqued to about 20 ft-lb, and that all four plug wires are good, and connected in the correct order. a bad wire will show up most on hard acceleration, as will a fouled plug, or, for that matter, shorting inside of a wet or dirty distributor cap.

the broken plug is suspicious, and it would definitely make sense to check that ignition timing is correct.

sometimes plug wires test ok in a static test of DC resistance, but will show internal breaks if flexed while observing an analog meter. also, it might be possible to spot arcing between plug wires/boots and the engine, or maybe a blue glow around wires. in the dark, especially under a load (thus simulating hard acceleration).

does compression in supposidly bad cylinder improve a lot by first squirting in a tablespoon or so of motor oil? if so, rings at issue, valves probably ok. if not, valve(s) not sealing, but rings may be ok. also, vacuum guage, easy and inexpensive, will confirm bad cylinder (though not tell you which one), and tell a lot about condition of valves.

in any case, there are tons of possibilities here. i cannot recommend too strongly using a vacuum guage to help diagnose the problem. sticking valves, worn valve guides, overall compression, valve timing, a single bad cylinder, and more, can be cleverly diagnosed with this tool.

dan