Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:44:58 -0800
From:         Aaron <lists@MYCOMMUNITYNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Winter Camping at Pokagon State Park

I would have to agree with Jonathan. I've lived in my van over a winter in temps that got down to -5f or so and temps would be below freezing for weeks straight. I learned a number things. One is moisture...don't let it stay in. Like Jonathan said, keep the side and front windows cracked and don't use non-vented propane heaters. If you need heat and have electricity, a small electric heater works great...just keep it clear of anything.

The blanket "tent" inside of the van is a great tip for when it gets real cold. I ran a small string/rope down the middle of the sleeping area that I would hang the blanket over. The smaller airspace makes breathing much easier in the cold.

If it's going to be below freezing in the van, sleep with a water bottle in your sleeping bag. There's nothing worse than waking up early with nothing to drink. One time I woke up thirsty in 5 degree weather and or course everything was frozen. Then I noticed that a 2 liter bottle of sprite was still liquid. So I opened it up and right in front of my eyes, it froze up. I guess the pressure must have kept it from freezing.

Consider putting some silicone grease on the door seals. All of the moisture can get in there and freeze you in...I learned the hard way.

Sleep with some of the clothes you are going to change into in your bag. Nothing ruins the morning more than 5 degree clothes.

And yes, you do get used to it. 55 degrees used to be a nice toasty van worthy of shorts and a t-shirt. A short spurt of heat would get me there and keep it comfortable for enough for a while. With a 15 degree bag, I never slept cold until the outside would get down into the single digits. Thats when the indoor blanket tent was nice. It made indoor 0 degree temps much more pleasant and breathable.

Have fun! Aaron