Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:35:43 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Koni or Bilsteins

> I'm curious why one would want to rebuild if they are > lifetime warrantied? Or does Koni rebuild them instead of > replacement in a warranty claim? Shock warranties also seem a > bit useless anyway... I've never had a shock with a warranty > fail in a way that could warrany a replacement - ie: KYB's > must be visibly leaking to qualify...

Most shock manufacturers' warranties allow them to replace or rebuild at their option. (Typically they just replace, but for example if they no longer make that shock and therefore don't have a replacement to offer, they may rebuild yours instead if the shock is rebuildable.) As for the usefulness of the warranty, you're right. Shock warranties generally only cover outright failure - i.e. if the shock leaks, blows out, or rusts through. Needless to say the warranties don't cover ride quality; if you don't like the way the shocks ride that's not a warranty issue. But they also don't cover normal wear and tear (i.e. the tendancy of the shock to become 'softer' as it ages). This is where the Koni's are unique, in that you can compensate for this normal wear by readjusting them rather than having to replace them. So if you keep your van a long time, the Koni's may cost more than a lower-end shock initially, but will save you money in the long run (not to mention offering better handling from day one).

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT