Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:09:53 +1100
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: sliding rear window for transporter

In a message dated 2/8/05 8:14:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU writes:

I am however unclear what the point of a rear sliding window on the trucks would be.

ventilation, Fair enough but it's never been an issue in any of my Dokas, past or present. open it and stick lumber into cab for long loads, Sounds a bit risky. I wouldn't like to travel in the cab with sections of timber next to my head. I, and most people I know who regularly carry lengths of timber or plasterboard wall sheets use racks mounted on the tray bed, just behind the cabin and at the rear of the tray to safely carry timber above the tray and cabin. This way you can carry timber or other building products as long as your truck and still barely protruding beyond the rear of the vehicle....and if lengths are such that they will significantly overhang, they are above the height of most other road users except large trucks. Also, the load is fairly even over front and rear wheels and you don't end up with your mudflaps scraping on the road and the steering way too light. Granted you don't try and speed on tight winding roads with a load on top but with sensible driving it is never an issue... if you have a tilt, easy way of getting from cab to bed without leaving the van.. Gee, the rear window in a T3 Single or DoKa is fairly small. I think you would be hard pressed to squeeze anyone but a small kiddie thru what would be half the area of the back sliding window. I can't see this as being useful....I have however seen a T3 DoKa with a rear camper section attached however it was permanently mounted and a larger access hole had been cut to make this egress from cab to camper convenient. I also know a '75 Bay singlecab Jurgens Villa camper imported to Oz from RSA that does the same thing...But again, a significantly larger access hole had to be created. just some points.. chris I do like the idea of being able to clearly give the clown tailgating you the finger... however while it might work in a single cab you'd need a long arm in a DoKa ;-) Cheers, Steve O '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Landrover Series 3 Soft top Ute (ex-Aust Army)