Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:45:16 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Koni or Bilsteins

> Koni is a cost-cutter... these units should have adjusters. > Having to remove them to adjust is asinine... and if they're > coilovers, like their bike dampers...

First of all, no, they're not coil-overs. Secondly, while user-adjustability without removal would sure be nice, this is not an alternative. The alternative to Koni's version of adjustability is no adjustability at all. Bilstein is not adjustable at all. Neither are KYB or Boge.

I spoke to Koni at great length at the SEMA automotive trade show in the fall, and now carry the Koni Vanagon shocks as a result of that conversation. The initial reason for their adjustabe design was to compensate for wear. All shocks will have a tendancy to gradually become more compliant over time. While with other shocks, you must either live with this or replace them, the idea was that with the Koni's you could simply remove them, adjust them a bit firmer, and reinstall. Beats buying new shocks.

The ability to "dial in" ride firmness upon installation, while initially conceived of as a secondary benefit, has turned out to be a very strong advantage. While the Bilsteins are excellent shocks, they are what they are. If you spend nearly $400 a set and don't care for the ride you get, well too bad, you just paid $400 for a ride you don't care for. If you spend the same (actually a bit less) on Koni's and find the ride a bit too hard or soft for your liking (or subsequently replace your springs or make another change that alters the way your van rides), you can adjust the shocks to match your tastes. Given that the Koni's are every bit as good a shock as the Bilsteins, plus add this feature, I don't really see a downside.

We now have the largest selection of 2-wheel-drive Vanagon shocks in the U.S.. We have the obligatory KYB's, Bilsteins, and stock Boge OEM replacement shocks, of course. But we also have a higher-end Boge/Sachs shock otherwise sold only in Europe (an excellent shock, by the way, albeit not adjustable). We have the Alko's from Europe, which will hold their own to the OEM Boge's for a hardly more than the price of KYB's (and are, in my opinion, the best value for dollar in Vanagon shocks). Then we have the Koni's, which in my opinion are the best you can put on your Vanagon, for less than the price of Bilsteins. You won't find this many Vanagon shocks to choose from anywhere else. (And don't forget, your list membership entitles you to an additional 5% discount - use referral code list1e on checkout.)

See: <http://busdepot.com/view.jsp?model=43&category=38&group=-1&prodgroup=-1>

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT