Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:09:36 -0800
From:         Matt Barclay <mbarclay@OPENFBO.COM>
Subject:      Replacing the Power Steering Lines

A couple weeks ago my power steering pressure line rusted through, so I bought the replacement hoses from Frank Condelli:

http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/hose.htm

Then began the task of removing the old, nasty, rusted lines from my 88 Westy. I began in the engine, removing the return line from the PS pump:

http://gallery.openfbo.com/powersteering/IMG_3408

The pressure line gets disconnected below the engine: http://gallery.openfbo.com/powersteering/IMG_3420

Its easier to reach if you remove this engine plate/cover thing: http://gallery.openfbo.com/powersteering/IMG_3418

The first segment of metal PS lines goes from the engine to the fuel tank, where they link up with another segment that goes to the rack: http://gallery.openfbo.com/powersteering/IMG_3423

The pressure line came loose pretty easily using a wrench, but the hose clamps on the return line were rusted in place. So I cut the hose that links to two metal return lines: http://gallery.openfbo.com/powersteering/IMG_3424

Frank recommended that the new hoses follow the radiator lines and go up the middle of the van. I hope I'm zip tyed to the right hoses: http://gallery.openfbo.com/powersteering/IMG_3429

http://gallery.openfbo.com/powersteering/IMG_3430

The PS lines terminate at the rack: http://gallery.openfbo.com/powersteering/IMG_3436

The return line was a pain to remove, but nothing compared to removing the damned pressure line from the rack. The coupler was rusted to badly to the pressure line, that I had to turn the pressure line until it snapped: http://gallery.openfbo.com/powersteering/IMG_3438

The threads on the coupler are shot, so ordered a new on for $27.

I used a jig saw to remove the segment of the return line that connects to the rack: http://gallery.openfbo.com/powersteering/IMG_3440

The new return line hose will clamp to this, so I'll clean it up with some rust dissolver and sand paper.

As soon as the replacement coupler gets in, I'll be back on the road!!

I am an amateur. This is my first major repair job on a car. So if you see something that just doesn't look right, *please* let me know. This job seemed pretty straight forward. The hardest part has been finding the leverage to turn the old, rusted parts, and having the patience to see it through.

Regards, Matt