Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:23:56 -0700
From:         bueses <bueses@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: New cooktop for my kitchen mod
Comments: To: Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>

Baltic Birch plywood is what Westy used. It is readily available in thicknesses from 1/8" to at least 1 1/4". It most often comes in 5' x 5' sheets although you can get 4' x 8' sheets special order. It has been most often used in furniture applications & for cabinet drawers, etc. As an architect, I specify it a lot in buildings as a sustainable building material for cabinets, wall panels, countertops, furniture, etc. Very cool stuff, & Westfalia used it way before it was ever popular for other uses.

You can get it at specialty hardwood lumber places- I pay about $32 US for a 5 x 5 x 3/4" thick sheet which has about 13 laminations- thinner sheets will be less. The edges are quite nice w/o any edge banding & it does not chip, weigh as much as particle board or MDF ply.

You can laminate "Formica" or plastic laminate onto it, which is what Westy did in later campers, although in the early Westy's they used the natural wood veneer finish.

FWIW,

Tom Buese