Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:52:29 -0800
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Swapping '86 front end onto '82
Comments: To: al and Sue Brase <albeeee@mchsi.com>

Al,

Of course, you are right - I just put a magnet on my '88! I simply assumed the cast lower CA was aluminum, as this seemed like a logical move toward improving things, whereas cast iron does not. Perhaps there is an improvement in stiffness, given the more complex nature of the Vanagon control arm (with the radius rod tie in) versus simpler designs like the A1/A2 models. I don't know of any other VW model where cast iron supplanted a stamped steel part... I wonder why this was done on the Vanagon? All this time I assumed it was aluminum - am I the only one?