Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:02:35 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: MO's
Comments: cc: Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

> We have ten million immigrants in the US that > aren't American Born. They do not hold the same > moral values as most of those that I know who are > native born. They are simply here for the wealth > they might acquire by any means possible.

Stan, I'm shocked! I can't believe you just branded our ten million immigrants in the U.S. as crooks! I hope you realize how bigoted such a statement is, whether intended that way or not. It's no different from saying that all 36 million blacks in America love fried chicken and watermelon, or all 6 million Jews in America are miserly bankers. There are plenty of crooks and plenty of good, hard-working people among our immigrant population, just as among our native-born population. I'm really don't want to touch off an off-topic firestorm that ends up requiring moderator intervention (which is how these things usually end up). But at the same time it would be morally wrong for me to remain silent and let such a statement go by without voicing my very strong objection.

As for the money order issue, unfortunately fraud is a significant risk with virtually all forms of payment. There are fraudulant bank checks and money orders. There are rubber checks. There is the possibility of counterfeit bills (although I've never received one that I know of). There are hijacked Paypal accounts. Someone tries to rip off The Bus Depot at least twice a month, usually but not always with a stolen credit card. (Our address-verification requirement catches virtually all of them.) Some are foreigners; some are not. Usually they try to order parts for VW's other than Busses or Vanagons; they want something they can resell easily, and stolen Golf/Jetta parts are more easily fenced.

The safest methods of accepting payment as a private individual are probably cash from a bank, postal money orders (if you cash them at the post office prior to delivering the goods), Western Union (again, if you pick up the cash before delivering the goods), Paypal (if you ship the goods to a confirmed/verified U.S. address, can prove delivery, and are covered by their Seller Protection plan), and C.O.D. cash-only. Any other method involves some percentage of risk, although the risk can vary. As a buyer, your safest method of payment is credit card (other than debit card) wherever possible, or as a second choice possibly Paypal (with funds sourced from your credit card).

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT