Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:49:33 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Toughest job on a Vanagon, was Re: Secrets of exhaust nuts

--clip-- > This is one of the toughest jobs on a Vanagon. (Maybe we should > start a new thread: what is the toughest job on a Vanagon?) the only > thing I'd rate tougher is putting the piston/ cylinder assemblies into a > Waterboxer. > Al Brase --clip--

The only time I've done the exhaust or the pistons, I had the engine on a stand. I found the pistons to be fairly straightforward and didn't really have any problem with them, at least after I made a tool for the wrist pins. With the exhaust system, I wound up putting the pieces together (more like 'forcing' some of them) and just putting the nuts on one turn or so until I had it all hung together and then went around more-or-less in order tightening them up until it was tight. I do this with many things that are of dubious fit, keeps you from having to go back and loosen things to make later things fit.

I can tell you from experience that putting in the auto tranny by yourself is tough, mostly from a strength/leverage and alignment standpoint.

Personally, I hate chasing electrical problems. I know how to do it well enough but it's time consuming and I always seem to end up upside-down under the dash, which, while it might be great comic relief for others, doesn't do much for me.

I also have a problem with aligning/re-hanging doors (if doing it by myself) for some reason- at least, I'm never much satisfied with the results, but that may come from trying to get a perfect fit and not getting it.

'Course, I don't have a Westy or a Syncro, so I haven't had to deal with some of the more esoteric crap y'all go on about.

Cya, Robert