Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:49:58 -0700
From:         bueses <bueses@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Hardwood veneer core plywood & Westfalia's
Comments: To: jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>

.........>>> Baltic Birch plywood is what Westy used. It is readily available in >>>> thicknesses from 1/8" to at least 1 1/4". >> .......... >> >> You are right about the old ply used by Westfalia, it is not as nice as the >> new stuff I am talking about above, but is waaaay better than ordinary >> plywood or particle bd. Coincidently, Westfalia's old ply was much better >> than any of the American camper kits such as EZ Camper, Sundial, etc.

>> > Instead of the birch I have been using the oak ply. Same price. ........

I should have said "Baltic Birch hardwood veneer core plywood" instead of baltic birch ply.

The important thing about the plywood is that the interior plys are solid hardwood in alternating directions which makes the plywood much stronger, has no voids on the interior plys & resists warping, etc. much better than ordinary softwood plywood. That is why it gets used for furniture, etc. Baltic birch ply is the usual hardwood used for this type of ply although the US version is called "apple ply" & is made up of maple(not apple?) instead of birch & is much more expensive than the baltic birch imported from Russia! It does however commonly come in 4 x 8' sheets. If you are using an oak veneer plywood, it is either not a veneer core plywood or has an oak veneer laminated on top of the standard birch veneer hardwood ply or apple ply. If it is not laminated on top of both sides, the plywood will warp much more than normal cuz of the uneven # of plys. I had never seen oak veneer core plywood other than when I have specified it & they made up hundreds of sheets of baltic birch plywood w/ a white oak, rift cut veneer laminated on the top of it for a job we did. If you order enough, they will put any veneer(rare Tasmanian wormwood??) on top of the standard birch veneer.

I use a lot of the veneer core plywood cuz I like the exposed ply edge w/ alternating bands of dark & light colored plys.

Tom Buese-every little product has its own fetish groupies!