Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:00:55 +1000
From:         David Yates <dyates1@BIGPOND.NET.AU>
Subject:      Re: 86 Drivetrain Into 82 Diesel?
Comments: To: Budd Premack <bpremack@MN.RR.COM>

Not sure if this is helpful . . BUT

I put an '86 auto trans into my 82 Vanagon. I found that the transmission crossmember in the 86 is about 50mm (2") further forward than in the 82!!! This WAS a problem.

This means that one could NOT fit the '86 ATF cooler in position and it was VERY tight putting a fitting into the ATF cooler holes in the Auto so I could use an external cooler.

I suspect that a MANUAL box might fit in OK, though you may have to mix and match with the mounting bracket. I suspect it would be possible to simply make up a new mount if needs be.

I hope this helps.

Dave downunder

This question comes from fellow Listee Cary Chiang, who is having computer problems.

I have been reading the recent thread about swapping '86 front end onto '82 Vanagons with great interest. I have a few somewhat-related questions, that I hope someone can readily answer (Please forgive my inability to search the archives; I currently have very limited internet access time). I recently acquired an '82 diesel Vanagon Adventurewagen. It is missing the engine, transmission, entire shifter mechanism, cooling system, fuel system (except tank), interior heater/ventilation box, and entire wiring harness. Basically it just has the interior, glass, brakes, manual steering, and some of the clutch hydraulics. Because the body was dented, I was going to remove the AW top and interior, and crush the rest. However, upon reviewing the body condition of the '86 Westy Weekender (ex-inline conversion, now missing engine, transmission, engine wiring harness, brake/clutch pedal assembl! ies, and shifting mechanism) that I was going install the AW parts onto, I have concluded that it may be better to save the AW body instead, and install a complete Kennedy Subaru engine / waterboxer 4 spd. transmission setup into it (this drivetrain, along with wiring harness, shifter assembly, cooling & fuel systems, etc. etc. would come from my wrecked but still driveable '86 camper).

Questions-- The frame crossmember for the transmission mount seems to be located in the same place as in a water-cooled van, but is shaped differently (large hole on driver's side for AC heating duct?). Will a waterboxer transmission mount (and related type shifter mechanism) bolt on without modifications?

Are there any other body differences between early and later vans that would require modification to my current Kennedy / Subaru setup? Are the engine / transmission compartment dimensions the same?

I am considering retaining the non-power steering rack & knuckles to avoid future rack leakage issues. I know there are differences in the design of the knuckles, which affect the steering wheel leverage. Will the newer design '86 front brake rotors, calipers, etc. fit onto the '82 non-power steering knuckles, or will I have to install the '86 knuckles, also?

Is there any benefit to trying to use the diesel fuel tank, instead of the '86 gasoline one? (the fittings look different)

I am willing to live with the early-style slider door mechanism (may actually be a plus, if I choose to install Jalousie windows), manual steering, and (maybe) the weaker front brakes. Am I overlooking any other "improvements" that an '86 body has?

Thanks in advance!

Cary