Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:23:47 -0700
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: FYI Satellite Radio Users

On 2/14/05 4:28 PM, "caverat" <caverat@COMCAST.NET> wrote:

> Does the unit stay on when the key is removed from the van? If so, the > cigarette lighter that the unit is plugged into is probaby always hot which > will mean the unit will drain the battery if left on. My hard-wired > non-portable Sirius unit was initially wired to an "always hot" wire because I > incorrectly thought it wouldn't drain the battery if the unit was powered off. > The next day I found out differently when the van wouldn't start. I wired it > to a "switched on" lead and the problem went away. My wife's audiovox unit is > plugged into the lighter in her car. It goes off when the key is switched > off. I know many people that have the portable units. None of them drain the > battery in their setup. The older units get warmer than the newer ones. > > caverat > > 89 westy >

Interesting side note on cigarette lighters. There are two outlets in my daughters jeep. Not sure if that was part of an option package or standard on the cherokee. One is hot at key on and the other is hot always. I stumbled on that when I had been playing with the wires looking for another problem. One bit me and the other didnΉt so I checked with a meter.

The one I wired into my vanagon to the front is a double outlet that is always hot to the aux battery. However after forgetting my sat head in the van a couple times and now knowing the load I am going to add another socket to the switched lead or possibly use the silver socket. DonΉt remember if that was switched or always hot though.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com