Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:49:43 -0600
From:         Michael Knight <vwdormer@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Head replacement 91 Westy, 115,000 miles
Comments: To: leo0365@SBCGLOBAL.NET

>From: Leo Lee

I guess, it is time for a head job. I have some experience working on this Van, but never actually open the head. I have the Bently manual, and also have a copy of Boston Bob,s article on cylinder head replacement. I think I am all ready to get on the job. >I really wellcome any comments on what should and should not do about the >cylinder head job from the fellow listees who has done this job before. >Thanks folks

I have just recently done this and I am in Texas, too. Austin area.

First I would look at all of the components that you might want to replace while in there.

Fuel lines. Fuel injector seals. Definately the two short peices of coolant hose, one on the crossover pipe behind the crank pulley, the other between the thermostat and the 3/4 head. Thermostat. Check the water pump. Oil cooler seal. Rear main seal. GET VALVE ADJUSTMENT SCREWS. These you can glance at before you ever start but you will not be able to see the business end of them until you get them out.

If they(heads) are not corroded then count youorself lucky. If they are then how are you going to deal with that, you should plan.

All in all this is a straight foward deal, just follow the manuals and remember what you have read, or keep it close at hand.

Good Luck,

Michael Knight '77 Westy Deluxe, "el Verde" '85 Vanagon GL, nameless http://photos.yahoo.com/electrictrain@sbcglobal.net