Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:51:02 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Plastic welder?
Comments: To: jbange <hfinn@INGRATES.NET>

Funny the ad didn't list how thick the plastic is that it can weld with an 80w element.

I had a portable Seelye welder with compressor that fit in a 26" tool box. I bought it to repair cracked whitewater kayaks. man, did I take a bath on that deal. Think I had about $900 in all the rods, extra heating element, different tips etc. It was a great unit, but the demand for its services never materialized. The comnpressor was Very quiet and the whole unit didn't weigh 30#.

The Cadillac of plastic welders is one made in Germany called a Draeder. It runs about $2500, hand held, but never used one. Dagger kayaks swears by them, however; but they can afford one.

DM&FS

At 09:49 AM 2/8/2005, jbange wrote: > > On EBay, #4356280339 for $159. > > Anyone know if these things work? I've never heard of one before... > > Not that I'd buy it, just curious. > >>those things are outstanding. i used to work for a whitewater rafting >>comapny, and we used one to make custom boxes and containers to fit in >>the boats and elsewhere. i didn't realize you could get one for $150. > >If you type the model number into Google (URE5500HT) and poke around, you >can even find it a little cheaper. Personally though, when given the choice >between ebay and a real online store, I pick the real online store (unless, >or course, the ebay item is priced absurdly low).