Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:11:40 -0600
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Toughest job on a Vanagon, was Re: Secrets of exhaust nuts
Comments: To: Karl Hartmut Filc <kfilc@SYMPATICO.CA>

Aw, that's what they make test lights for. Sometimes it's a problem to find a good one though! The bulb is burned out in my Snap-on one. I guess I need to track down the Snap-on man! Trouble shooting auto electric stuff is not too hard with good schematics. I kind of miss the old realistic type schematics like they have in the old Bentleys for the 72 and earlier buses. The current track ones have their use, but sometimes make it more difficult to relate the circuit to the actual vehicle. Actual troubleshooting is pure logic. For instance, the rear window defrost on my 87 doesn't work. First I check the hot wire at the window- dead. Then checked the fuse holder and then the switch. turned out to be hot on one side of the switch but not the other. Bingo. Bad switch. Piece of cake. Certainly easier than seeing inside of an engine or tranny! Oh, I happen to be a journeyman electrician. Same concept- use a tester. But 12 volts is a little less dangerous than 480 volts! Al Brase